Monday, August 25, 2008

It's the little things

Sometimes, it's really funny what will really lift my spirits. Last weekend, it came in the form of a neighbor's garage sale. Some of you knew that I had come to despise my kitchen table. (Our kitchen table also doubles as our dining room table in this cozy house.) It was one of those ones with white tile top--you know, they were hugely popular in the early 90's. Well, when the tiles and grout were clean and the chairs weren't falling apart, it was just fine. However, it was wickedly difficult to clean--crumbs clung to that caulk like you wouldn't believe. Also, THREE of the FOUR chairs were broken and we had to warn all visitors not to sit down. How is that reasonable? We scoped adds for new tables, but everything was out of our price range, which was very low. So, I had pretty much given up.
Then last weekend I was driving away to a playdate with the kids and saw a dining room table at my neighbor's garage sale. I hopped out of the car and called out to her asking how much the table was. She said $50. I didn't even hesitate. I would use food money if I had to. I said "We'll take it! I'll be right back!" I put the car into reverse, ran back into the house, grabbed the checkbook and told Trent he needed to run next door and get our new table! He agreed and I'm so happy with our decision. It's bigger than our last table, has no grooves for food to get stuck in, has nice chairs (even though only 5 are working), and it feels like I finally have a table for grown-ups, not something that belongs in a recent college grad's apartment. It's not a big thing, but it made me smile.

10 comments:

Lyonslove said...

And it came with a baby!

I love it too. We bought our table before we moved into this house and it makes me feel like such a grown up.

I love your floors too. Did you guys do them? I would love to see more pictures of your cozy house.

sarah said...

I love it when God does little things like that to lift your spirits. Looks like you got a great deal for $50. I like it!

Jewels said...

Jen - that is so fun! I love a good deal especially when you really need one. The table looks very nice and I agree with Sarah let's see some more pics of your cute house.

Steph said...

Woot! Love it!

johnsonandjohnson said...

Okay, I seriously used to have a table pretty much just like that and it did NOT cost 50.00! GREAT deal!!!! Good for you guys!

Kristi said...

SUPER CUTE! Nice purchase. Garage sales rock.

Diane Davis said...

Seriously, what a steal.

Sarah said...

YAY!! You're officially a grown up now. Nevermind your education, jobs, marriage, and children. NOW you are bonified adults.

Hey ... a few coats of paint and some new fabric on those seats would be really fun ... (actually it looks great as it is - I just blogged about my passion to paint all things furniture!).

Good for you guys. Thrifty grown-ups!

Beth said...

Hi Jen! Congrats on your beautiful Sydney! She is so pretty! I just read your blog and have laughed so hard (found you through Kristen B's)! Love your honesty--you make me feel somewhat normal! Carson is a kick!

Beth

edie said...

Very nice!! Few things give me a high like finding a steal at a garage sale. Looks great.