Monday, October 13, 2008

Spaghetti, Ice Cream Sandwiches and Apple Crisp

Let's share!

As a post script to my last post, I'm sharing with you some of my favorite recipes. May I suggest you read, copy if you'd like, but then you post a recipe on your blog that others might like. Maybe it's your signature dish, maybe not. :) Celeste already started the trend with a very yummy sounding cake.



Here goes. This post will be long. I'm sure the spacing will be all messed up, so I apologize in advance. Also, just a note, the ice cream sandwiches are kind of a big undertaking, especially the first time. I do not consider this a "naptime recipe," meaning, I would not try to start and complete it within 90 minutes.



GRANDMA MULKEY'S SPAGHETTI

1 lb ground beef

1 small can mushroom pieces

1/2 onion, chopped

1 can diced tomatoes

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

1 tsp minced garlic

1 envelope spaghetti seasoning

salt

pepper

garlic salt

1/2 tsp all spice

Dash of sugar

1 Tbsp Italian seasonings or spices

(additional veggies-finely chopped or pureed-optional)



*Brown hamburger and drain. Add chopped onions and cook until transparent.

*Add all other ingredients (salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste) and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep hot until spaghetti noodles are ready.



Jen's note: Sometimes, if I have my act together, I'll pull a Jessica Seinfeld and sneak in some veggies. It can change the taste a bit, though, so I don't do it all the time.





BROWNIE FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICHES

*This part of the recipe can be done in advance.

1/2 cup butter, cubed

4 squares (1 oz each) of semisweet chocolate

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt



*In a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to choco mixture.

*Pour into a parchment paper-lined 15 in x 10 in x 1 in baking pan. (Jen's note--I don't have this, so I just use the largest one I do have. A smaller pan makes the brownie thicker, but not as many sandwiches.) Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until center is set (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack. Invert brownie onto a work surface and remove parchment paper.



CANDY BAR ICE CREAM SANDWICHES

4 cups of Snickers ice cream (I've used mocha, Heath, cookies 'n cream--they're all good.)

1 bottle of magic-shell, any kind



*Prepare, bake and cool brownies. Cut brownie in half widthwise. Spread ice cream over one brownie half. Turn over remaining brownie half; place over ice cream. Cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.


*Cut into bars, squares or triangles. Drizzle with Magic shell. Let stand for 1-2 minutes or until topping is set. Wrap individualy in plastic wrap. Freeze until serving.



Jen's notes: There is a learning curve on this. Working with ice cream can be tricky. I found that buying the ice cream that comes in a cube and cutting it into squares to place on the brownie is very helpful. If things start to melt, just put it all in the freezer for a couple minutes so you can work on it again. I also found that using a large bread knife and "sawing" through the large frozen brownie/ice cream sandwich is the best way to get little sandwiches.



EASY APPLE CRISP

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Apple-Crisp/Detail.aspx



I found my recipe at this site. I read several of the comments and suggestions, and incorporate many of them. I use white or yellow cake mix, and I add a lot of oatmeal. I also use a little less water. I change it a little every time, but it is easy and yummy. The hardest part is peeling and cutting the apples. (Granny Smith are best.)

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

yay!!! thanks for sharing...I'm thinking of something good to post.

sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your secret magic shell recipe. The snickers ice cream version sounds pretty good to me right now. Who am I kidding, it sounds good always =)

edie said...

Thanks for sharing, Jen! I'm going to bake an apple cake this weekend. I'll post the recipe once I have pictures.

woosterweester said...

Girlfriend, you KNOW I love recipes. I'm glad you did a post because now I can go back and make these sometime! In fact, I almost made the brownie things for a dinner tonight but thanks to your *naptime* tip I realized I did not have enough time. Keep 'em coming...I'm eating it up!:)

Beth said...

The spaghetti recipe is making my mouth water right now! Can't wait to try them out!