Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Summer of Sonic

So, here's the thing. I have a bit of an oral fixation. I love passing the time by sipping on something sweet. Especially when we are going for a bit of a drive; that's when I love to have a little drinktreat. My favorite choice of a summer drinktreat is a grande no whip white mocha Frappucino blended coffee. Mmmmmm. Second fave is an almond joy dutch freeze, but that's a little too sweet, even for ME. (Most of you black coffee lovers would spit it out.)
*
But here's the problem. THE PRICES! Good NIGHT they are ridiculous. Starbucks just raised their prices, and for me to get my drink and a chocolate milk for Carson it is...wait for it...FIVE DOLLARS AND SEVENTY CENTS. Well, the first time we went with these new prices, I just about wet my pants. (Of course they didn't tell me the total until I was at the window. Boo! Boo, I say!)
*
However, the good news is: we have found a very suitable substitute.
SONIC! They just built a brand new Sonic about 5 minutes from our house. Sonic has a variety of summer drinktreats like slushies and flavored lemonades, and will put flavored syrup in regular sodas.
The biggest selling point for us is that EVERY DAY they have a happy hour from 2pm-4pm when all drinks are half off. HALF OFF! Also? Vanilla cones and a small tater tots are only $1 all the time.
I'm a little embarassed to say how often we have been to Sonic this summer. Now that Carson is not napping regularly, our afternoons at home can feel like an eternity. Hopping in the car to go spend $1.50 for 2 drinks is often the perfect solution for cabin fever. Not only is there the new one by our house, but there is one perfectly placed right off the freeway on my way home from visiting friends in Portland. My drink of choice is usually a diet coke with vanilla. Carson gets a small lemonade or cherry slushy.
Trent comes home a couple times a week and sees our Sonic cups in the trash and gets jealous that we went without him. So, of course, on the weekends, we have to go WITH him. His choices vary, but often tends to go with the lemon-berry slush. I highly recommend it. This particular Saturday, we got: 2 vanilla cones, one diet coke with vanilla flavor, one chicken sandwich, and 2 small slushes. The total? $5.90. Twenty cents more than my 2 drinks at Starbucks! Need I say more?
We didn't have any huge summer vacation, we are a little tighter on the budget since the purchase of the Minivan Awesomeness, but there's something about a little sweet treat that makes this happen:

....and I'm sold!

7 comments:

Becky said...

That last pic of Carson is way too cute! Whenever I go there I end up with a plain old Coke. But I love their crushed ice! Someday I'll venture out. There is a guy from our church that has an espresso shop and my favs are White chocolate, macadamia nut mocha (hot, I don't like cold coffee) and my new fav is mango iced tea, 32 oz for $1.59. Yummy! And now he sale Krispy Kreams, dang it!

Jo B. said...

Yup, I agree with Becky. That last pix of Carson with the ice cream mustache and DIMPLE is just too cute. He truly looks like a happy camper! The rest of you look pretty satisfied, too!
JoJo

johnsonandjohnson said...

Apparently, the last picture of Carson is a hot topic. He looks so much older---you can almost picture him as an adult in that picture. Looks like you will have to fight off the ladies because he is pretty stinkin' cute.

We also love Sonic---totally jealous that yours is 5 minutes away. We have to drive about 15-20 minutes, but it is a fun treat. Brian went out on Saturday while Emily and I were napping to bring us back some drinks during their happy hour prices. LOVE that! Brian is pretty much addicted to Vanilla Dr. Pepper--gag. I love the diet cherry limeade. Actually, I LOVE the regular one, but it is a bit too sweet for the 'ol tastebuds (not to mention how many calories that I do not need help in obtaining) anywho....diet cherry limeade it is.

How did I write this much on Sonic? Oh dear.

The Brandt Clan said...

Okay, so cute! Carson is such a ham! Well, you'll have to try their strawberry-banana smoothie sometime then- I love them! Don't think they are half-off at happy hour though- sorry! Anyway, hope Syd is feeling better! We'll get it right one of these days!

Kathi said...

Very cute! My kids complain when I take them to get Sonic instead of a Slurpee. But, it's cheaper. Order me a cranberry limeade please!

Alli said...

LOVE Sonic happy hour! Sweet Tea for me, tater tots and an apple juice slush for the boys to share = $2.12!!!

Carrie Leigh said...

I fell in love with Sonic during my college years in Tennessee. Then moved out west- no Sonic. Lots of crying.

Finally Sonic has arrived in the NW! But alas, it's a 35-45 minute drive. So, sometimes after church I coerce hubby into driving 'just a bit further' so I can indulge in cherry limeade.

Heaven!