Friday, April 16, 2010

Day to Day Stuff

I haven't been getting very many sub jobs lately, AND I've been sick, AND Trent's been working some long hours, AND we're on a really tight budget, so I've been feeling the HOME part of being a stay-at-home mom this week. I'm blessed and I know it. As the saying goes: Lord, grant me the patience to deal with my blessings. :)
*
The dynamic between my two squirrels is getting more and more complicated. Multiple times a day they are the best of friends. But then...well, you can guess. I'm working with Sydney on what it means to "Leave Carson alone," and "Keep your hands to yourself." I'm working with Carson on speaking in a kind voice, even when he's mad, even when his sister is pinching him, even when she is smooshing her body up against his on the couch, pressing her nose into his cheek to get his attention. It's kind of funny if it didn't escalate so quickly and so often. Today I heard him say: "SYDNEY! Keep your hand--keep your fee---KEEP YOUR BODY TO YOURSELF, Sydney! Keep your BODY TO YOURSELF!"
*
Here's a little random picture montage that tells a little story. I will translate the children's inner monologue.
Sydney: Look at me! I'm a little angel! I asked mommy with my adorable sign language if I could eat this granola bar on the couch and she said yes! And one of the chocolate chips already melted on my white shirt! I'm SO adorable!
Carson: This is the best day ever! [Editor's note: that was an actual quote.] Jojo got me a dragon in my Happy Meal AND a pen that has a light and quacks! I wonder how many times I can make this duck quack before my mom rips it out of my hands and threatens to throw it in the garbage again?
Both children: Ho-hum. La-di-da. Getting kinda bored.
Sydney: Hmmm, I wonder what would happen....
Sydney:...if I just took my finger and poked Carson veeeeeery lightly, but for a reeeeeeally long time?

You'll notice there are no pictures, because the scene became volatile, and the camera was removed to an elevated place of safety.

**
Another recent occurence at the T household: our DVD player died. RIP. No, we will not be replacing it with a Blu Ray. No, we did not even have the cash on hand to replace it with a regular one. Yes, I did have plans to buy one on Craigslist for $15. But then we found out that Trent gets to choose from a list of gifts for completing 5 years of work at the Hospital. Guess what one of the gifts was? Yep. It came in the mail yestserday. I'm sure it is of the HIGHEST quality and will last us well into retirement.
But while we waited, this was our DVD watching method:
Evidently, the movie made him angry, or maybe he was reliving the situation earlier with his sis.
*
Left over frosting + graham cracker + 22 months = happiness.

Today we all sat down and had a lovely and civil time at the table doing some coloring.
And by "civil," I mean Carson was wearing nothing but his unders, natch.
And by "lovely time"
I mean approximately 20 seconds before Birdie was done with being artsy craftsy.
I can't say I love every minute, but I DO love my day job, and am so grateful for my little employers.

8 comments:

Jo B. said...

Bapaw is cracking up in the living room (laptop) and I'm cracking up in the family room (desktop)! Sure reminds us of you and your little bro in the days when he loved you to death until he learned that making you mad was more fun!

Unknown said...

Oh Jen, I so understand! Feeling blessed and loving the kiddos doesn't mean that there aren't days I think poking my eyes out with a pitchfork would be better than breaking up one more sibling fight...ah, SERENITY NOW!

Nina said...

Thank you for sharing a day in the life of Monkey and Birdie! I dearly love them and any picture they are in!!!!!

Roy B. said...

I'm so used to the little BROTHER being the impish tease who finds his sister's buttons, that this snapshot of the little SISTER being the tease actually cracks me up - and breaks some gender stereotypes I think. She's got a look in her eyes sometimes that brings me a huge smile thinking about what she's going to come up with in the future.

Unknown said...

HI Jen-

Okay this is how I relate to you today. As you know, we are on a b-b-b-budget, and if we don't have the cash on hand, we don't get something new. I kid you not, in the past two months, we replaced our kitchen floor, our garbage disposal broke, the microwave broke, the lawnmower broke, and Jer's car needs to get fixed. I'm dying. But also, I'm learning how to live with less. And I'm learning the fine art of reheating over the stove. Now please, don't let the stove break next!

Let me know when you want me to drop off the garage sale stuff - I'm collecting stuff every day for it.

April said...

Hi! Robin sent me a link to your blog and I stopped by to check it out! How exciting on your adoption from Thailand! Congrats! Do you all have a referral yet? You have a beautiful family!
Please feel free to stop by my blog at www.intoourheart.blogspot.com.
If you go to my archives, there are a ton of posts from when we traveled to get our daughter.
April

Kristi said...

I love peeking inside your world. Alas, ours are so similar. I often wonder why my kids can't be more like sugar and butter instead oil and vinegar. Wouldn't that be nice? :)

Love you friend.

Kristen Ann said...

This is HILARIOUS. I am cracking up at Sydney poking Carson. Her face is priceless.
It's the same story here except Jack doesn't yet know that he is bothering his brother. So he gets side swiped and doesn't know why. I'm sure he will pick up on it soon.