Thursday, November 06, 2008

Proud Mama

Oh yes. Big day in our household. Carson went to the dentist for the first time! Our friend Beth (Wow, Beth! 2 shout-outs in 2 weeks!) recommended a pediatric dentist in town, and I am so thrilled. I've read that little kiddos should go to the dentist even before age 3, but I just couldn't envision it going well. But the word on the street was that "Dr. Jeff" and his staff were up to the challenge. True story! They were fabulous. AND, they let me come in with my huge stroller and camera like a dorky mom.
*
Here is the big boy getting ready. Our dental hygienist was Heidi, and she was obviously a pro at working with 3 year olds. She walked through every single step and instrument with Carson, with such excitement you would have thought he was sitting in a spaceship. (I would like to point out that his shirt does not have a big stain on it. That is a reflection from the mirror next to his lap.)
Miss Syd waited patiently in her stroller, wondering why she wasn't getting any attention for once.


Here Heidi is showing Carson the water-squirty thing and letting him shoot water out toward the window.



Shooting water in his mouth was not as fun, but he went with it.




I could not believe how cooperative he was! I was seriously SO proud of him. It was clear he was not comfortable with something so very new and strange, but he didn't fight it or cry or complain.


After the cleaning, Dr. Jeff came in to count the teeth and do a short exam.






He talked TO Carson a lot, which is always a hit with preschoolers.


Here is the big boy with such clean sparklers! He did so well that he got a new toothbrush and TWO prizes from the prize basket. I am so thrilled to have a dental home for our fam that specializes in kids! (It's worth the drive ALL the way across town.) Hopefully C-dog will associate the dentist with being fun, not with torture!











9 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow - that's VERY impressive. So young - but such a big boy! Good for you for taking him!! We waited way too long to take Hope to the dentist (I have serious fear issues with regard to dental work) and we payed the price for it. I won't be making that mistake with Jack. Like you, I don't think taking him before he's 3 will work out well so I'm going to wait a little bit longer. I lOVE the sunglasses - so cute.

And hey, with a name like Heidi, the dental hygenist HAD to be good. : )

Steph said...

Yikes! What a big boy! These pictures are so fun - I just love his spiffy sunglasses. :) Yay, Carson!

edie said...

That's pretty amazing. I can't even keep Lucy still to cut her hair and I dread the day I take her to the dentist. I'm very impressed and you must be relieved it went so well. How great to find a dentist that works so well with kids.

Lisa P said...

Days like these are the moments to savor--your squirmy little child that fights YOU on everything is beginning to interact with the outside world on his own. And if you're like us, you'll find that they often are champs for others. Alexa handles things like pictures, school, dentist, and doctor visits (even with shots!) way better than say, putting her pj's on for me. Sigh. But in truth, I'd rather have that than the reverse!

candace said...

That is awesome!! Just took Cade and my heart swelled watching my sweet big boy in that big chair:)!!

Peaby said...

Great job Carson...and Jen. You were a great photojournalist!

Beth said...

I'm so proud of him too! Great job taking all of the pictures! He is such a sweet, big boy! I'm sure they got a kick out of him! Thanks again for swinging by the other day!

sarah said...

Yay Carson! This is actually perfect timing because Ethan is going in in a couple of weeks. Now I can show him how much fun Carson had! Thanks!! I didn't even think of taking pictures of the event, but now I have to =).

Lyonslove said...

Way to go big boy!!!