Wednesday, November 05, 2008

He's no Brian Williams, but...

I admit it: I am relieved that the election (and political commercials) are over. But I was struck last night with an overwhelming sense of gratitude. Not necessarily for the choice of president-elect, although he seems like a neat man and I wish the best for him, but for living in this country where I can participate in something so momentous. I was listening to all the commentators, and something that Tom Brokaw said struck me and I haven't been able to let it go. He said:

"Once again, we have experienced a peaceful transfer of power in our nation."

I took a moment to think about how many people in our world live under corrupt power--to varying degrees--and the only way they can ever hope for change is through great violence and death. No matter how bitter you are about the previous administration or the future one, we cannot relate with that kind of oppression. There have been vicious ads and intense debates, but at the end of the day, we count votes. VOTES! That each of us gets to cast! Then, someone calmly concedes and a new leader takes his place. Feelings may be hurt, but no blood is shed. It's a process that I really do take for granted. Thanks, Tom, for reminding me!

(Yes, some of you may have missed my post here where I talked about my crush on Brian Williams.)

9 comments:

mostly ugly said...

That comment struck me also. You are right that we cannot relate to that kind of oppression. In a way, we are spoiled by our political processes. Thanks for sharing.

Heidi said...

I never thought about it like that before. It's a real eye-opener....

woosterweester said...

Okay, okay, you're right.:) But we're still naming this third baby Maverick. And can I leave my bumper sticker on for another four years? I am so sad to say we will not get 4 yrs. of Mz. Palin's skits on SNL. I don't even watch the show, but I'd watch those! No, I'm not bitter. I too am struck by your comments above and deeply moved...but even more concerned that Brian Willams is still on the brain. Jen, if he's told you once, he's told you a thousand times--IT'S OVER!:)

Diane Davis said...

wait a minute... JEN BUNCH posted something about POLITICS? of course it really isn't about politics, it is about peace, which coming from you doesn't surprise me at all. thanks for sharing these thoughts. i had no idea you of your crush on brian williams...

Heidi said...

Hmmmm.... I failed to see the crushing on Brian Williams.

Really? Brian Williams?

I'm all about Shepard Smith.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

thanks for sharing the comment Jen. I missed much of the election commentary and missed that comment. It is a very striking one. One that causes me to pause and to be grateful as well.
:-)

VikingMom said...

Thanks for the reminder...there's so much that I take for granted as an American. As for anchor crushes, I used to think Brian Williams had something, but Shepherd Smith wooed me away. :)

Kristi said...

Several things need to be discussed here.

1. It's good to see you are still "Switzerland."

2. You called Obama "neat". That might be the first time that adjective was used to describe him.

3. Brian Williams is WAY hotter than Shepherd Smith and he was so funny on SNL.

4. Thank you for the reminder of how we are blessed to live in this country. ALTHOUGH, I am not quite sure it would have been a "peaceful transfer of power" if MCCain had been elected. I was honestly concerned. He definitely unified the country more than McCain did/could/would. It will be interesting to watch it all unfold and if that peaceful, easy feeling stays with us.

Heidi said...

Oh Kristi.... I love you and all, but....

Shepard Smith forever.